Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Refurbished Picture Frames

I have been toying with the idea of starting a second blog dedicated to crafts. (My first blog is www.im26nowwhat.blogspot.com). I have lots of ideas, that I would love to get down and share with everyone. I tend to not have enough time to get these ideas actualized but whilst I'm on my furlough I have decided to execute some of my master plans.

Today's entry is a simple one. I redecorated my bathroom in my new house. I didn't have a lot of money to spend so I decided to refurbish some frames I already had.

I picked up these frames at IKEA. They came in a package 5 for $1. That's right, I picked up all four of these for only $1!

First you need a place to work. I was working in the basement, but I decided to put down on old mat to work on.

I painted all four frames white. I knew these were going in a bathroom, so I decided not to put pictures in the frames. I think it's kind of weird to have pictures of your friends whilst using the facilities. Instead I used old postcards. They give a lot of color and are always interesting to look at.

These are the frames in their natural state. They were a light colored wood.

The picture frames after a few coats of paint. A good tip for painting small objects is to paint one direction for the first coat, and then the opposite direction for the second coat. (For example paint vertically, then horizontally). This ensures that there are no "bald" spots in the coats.


Here are the frames with the postcards in them. I grew impatient so I used a hair dryer to quicken the drying process.


Here is the finished product all lined up in my bathroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment