Thursday, August 27, 2009

Hey! I Can Do That!

I find myself saying this a lot in stores. Whenever I see something cute and craftsy, I want to take a shot at it. Today, I actually had the time to do that.

I saw this t-shirt in Ann Taylor Loft yesterday while shopping with Annie. I really liked it, but I just cannot bring myself to pay $40 for a t-shirt, no matter how cute.
They had it in a lot of colors, this is the white one.

I can bring myself to re-purpose a shirt that I haven't worn in years. This is the shirt I used, it's about 8 years old, from Old Navy.

I started by cutting these pieces out. I used white toole. You can use any color you want. I used toole because that's what they used at Ann Taylor, but you can really used any kind of thin fabric you want. You want to stay away from heavy fabrics as they won't fall correctly.
I cut out about 30 of these. I free hand drew the flower outline on the toole with a color pencil.
I also recommend you have a good pair of fabric scissors. If you don't have fabric scissors it will make the cutting a lot harder. You may want to cut more of less flowers out depending on how full you want your shirt to be. If you need a flower template just print out this page and cut out my picture... Ta-Da! template done.


Here is my finished shirt! I'm excited to wear it out!




Here is a close up of the flower ruffles. You don't have to be precise at all, I wasn't. The shirt should show that you had a hand in making it. I placed my flowers 3 cut outs to a bunch to make one "flower". For the part that trails off, I just used less cut outs.
Voila! I knew I could do that!

No comments:

Post a Comment