Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Lights Out!

Or light's on. Your choice.
As you all know by now I have completely redone my bathroom. There was a little bit of a stand out situation though... my light switch. It was old and yellowing. I decided I needed something fun and new. I am sure you have all seen lots of decorative light switches at Home Depot, Target, etc. However, instead of buying something new, I decided to reuse the old. With a little paint, I think it looks better than ever.

This is the old light switch. Pretty standard, not at all attractive....


I tried a couple of different types of paint on the switch before settling on paint pens. I found that latex paint peeled right off, and acrylic would have needed about 50 coats before it covered the yellowing of the old light switch. Paint pens are a great investment if you don't own them. They can be a little pricey, but they last awhile. I've had mine since college (yay sorority life!).
A pack of 5 pens will run you about $15.
Also note that's I'm working on an old mat, it's important when working with paint to have a clear surface that you don't mind getting paint on.

Here is the finished product! I kept it really simple with polka dots for this one, but you can decorate yours however you like. It's a great personal touch for any room!


No comments:

Post a Comment