Monday, January 11, 2010

Ruffle Shirt

If you're like me you have, in your life, received a Christmas gift you didn't particularly like. In my case my extended family loved to buy me things that were age inappropriate. Over the years I have received butterfly charm bracelets, lisa frank stationary, a black glitter dragonfly backpack, and the wonderful gem below: a tweetybird shirt. I received all these gifts after the age of 16 mind you. Usually I didn't mind too much as i would pass the gifts down to my sister (who is 8 years younger than I am). I did however keep this shirt thru the years to use as an undershirt (usually under a short sleeved polo). However, I haven't worn it in a few years and decided it was time to give it a little update.


First thing I did is cut off the sleeves. I hemmed cap sleeves with a simple straight stitch.

I then measured and cut the sleeves into strips. I used 4 strips for this project, each about 2 inches wide.


Then I sewed a straight stitch down each strip.


In order to get the "ruffle" I pulled at one of the threads in the straight stitch.


After I ruffled all the strips I pinned them in place on the shirt.


I then sewed the ruffles on the shirt.

I can't wait to wear this out!

2 comments: