Thursday, September 3, 2009

Pillows Galore!

So if you read www.im26nowwhat.blogspot.com you know that have a lot of pillows. I recently moved and realized I had 8 throw pillows. Some of my male friends thought this was too many... I think they're guys and don't know the importance of a good throw pillow.
Four of the pillows came with the sofa set. The other four were pillows that I bought that I actually liked (I'm not a fan of the pillows that came with the sofa). Today I decided to remedy the sofa pillow situation. I had some fabric and decided to make throw pillowcases. I'm a fan of coordinating colors, with designs that don't necessarily match.

The pillows were surprisingly simple to make.

You can also purchase pillowcases at my Esty shop:

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7734433


You can use quarter cuts of fabric from any fabric store for this project. They measure about 18 by 24 inches. Choosing pre-cut fabric can save you a step.

The first step is to cut a backing piece that is 3/4ths the size of the front of the front of the pillow.

The next step is to put another backing piece, also 3/4ths the size of the front. This is the back of your pillowcase, and the opening for your pillow.


I didn't take a picture of the step before this. I hemmed the edges of the backing pieces, so that no frayed pieces would show. After that I sewed the pieces to either side of the front piece.
you want to make sure to sew the fabric so that the seams will be on the inside of the pillowcase.
After this step fold the white pieces in and sew the bottom and top of the case.
Voila! Nice, simple, cheap pillowcases!


This is their new home on the bench seat in my living room.

No comments:

Post a Comment